Do More by Donating Life
You may not know …. but over the years I've been able to work with an amazing organization that trains and empowers organ requesters to take better care of organ donor families and recipients.
Earlier this year I was able to work with the organization in Houston, and was even able to meet two families with young children (<1 and 12 years old) that had received life saving donations in the past two months … and were doing great!
If you haven’t signed up yet to be an Organ and Tissue Donor, consider signing up today.
Here are some interesting facts about donation:
- 22 people die every day while waiting for a transplant.
- 1 organ donor can save 8 lives and change the lives of more than 50 people.
- Almost anyone can be an organ (or tissue) donor, regardless of age or medical history.
- All major religions in the U.S. support organ (and tissue) donation.
- Donors can still have open casket funerals, and donation doesn’t cost the donor’s family any money.
- If a person is hospitalized, the medical staff provides the best possible care, regardless of donor status. Donation is only considered after a patient has died.
- Donors are needed for all races and ethnic groups. Transplant success rates increase when organs are matched between members of the same ethnic background.
If you’re interesting in signing up to be a donor, here’s the link. And be sure to let your family know, so they can make sure your wishes are granted when you pass.