Marketing Yourself to Find Your Mate
With online dating continuing to revolutionize the matchmaking world, I’ve decided to utilize some of my marketing and social media skills to help singles find their match.
Why? Because it works. It’s how I found mine! (See my story.)
If you’re uber “hot,” always in demand and completely in touch with yourself, don’t waste your time reading this, but if you’ve felt the challenge of presenting yourself properly as a desirable single in the new digital age, read on. I’ve got some tips.
- Take the time to honestly assess yourself to see who you are, where you are in your life and career journey, and what you really want and need. In private consultations and workshops, I lead singles through an exercise that helps them to note their positive attributes, and their “negotiables” and “non-negotiables.” Know your assets, and not just the physical ones.
- Think before you write. Take the time to craft a well-written and personable profile. Be sure to refer to the things that are important to you. Compatibility can come in the form of shared hobbies, similar lifestyles, sense of humor, financial goals and more.
- Be honest. People despise being lied to. Right?
- Be light-hearted. Say what you need to say, but do it in a fun way. I was very clear about my “non-negotiables” in my profile, but I did it in a way that made people smile.
- Be authentic. Don’t take yourself too seriously. It’s just dating! If you want to find something real, be genuine.
- Choose great photos that present the most natural, genuine, engaged and open YOU! If I met you online without a photo and then had to pick you out of a lineup, could I? Your profile should form a very clear picture of who YOU are. Trust me. Ladies, if you’re looking for something more than a hook-up, he wants more than a “duck lips” or cleavage shot. Take a picture of yourself hiking … yes, with your hair sweaty and no makeup. And men, seriously. We know you love your abs, but your fun personality and intelligence will get you much further. (If we’re looking for something longer than one night. Otherwise, abs away…)
- Invest in quality leads. No, you don’t have to take the time to have conversations with the annoying, arrogant, hyper-sexual, unaware, or time wasters… but if someone looks like a decent human being… slow down. Have a chat. Have a coffee. You never know. I made some great friends from first dates and almost missed my “magic man” because he wasn’t my “typical type.”
- Imagine what it will be like. In my workshops, I have singles spend a few minutes visualizing what their life would be like with their perfect mate. Take the time to think, meditate, visualize or journal about that person. What attributes stand out. What about them makes you feel safe, happy, loved. What are you doing together when you see your future? If you don’t know what you’re looking for, how will you know when you find it?
We spend so much time working on our bodies, and possibly our minds, but we don’t invest into the “science” of relationships that can dramatically improve our chances of finding someone who makes our life better.
I used my 20+ years of marketing and branding experience to use online dating to find my perfect match. You can too.
I offer private consultations and group workshops. Learn more.